In May 2011 we debuted the Smart
ENVE System 6.7 Tubular to the world and in the same month Timo Bracht
broke one of the longest standing Ironman records in Lanzarote, Spain riding a pair of “the first of their kind” SES 6.7s. The new Smart ENVE System 6.7 Clinchers are specifically designed to meet the demands of the performance driven athlete by combining pro level race performance and aerodynamics with the durability and convenience of a training clincher.
THE EVOLUTION OF SPEED. INTRODUCING THE SMART ENVE SYSTEM.
The recipe for a fast wheel is no one single element; rather, it’s a combination of factors. When you start with in-frame development and blend proven aerodynamics, optimized stability, lightweight, stiffness and durability, the result is a revolutionary wheel design. Introducing the Smart ENVE System.
The Smart ENVE System optimizes the interface between the frame surfaces and the wheels, creating an integrated system. The front and rear wheels interact differently with the air and the rest of the bicycle. Rim shapes are optimized to allow airflow to stay attached at higher yaw angles, thus reducing drag and improving ride performance.
- The front wheel is wider and shallower to improve stability and reduce drag in any wind condition.
- The rear wheel is deeper to reduce drag where stability is less affected.
- Wheels were tested on multiple frame designs in order to produce the maximum drag reduction. The result is a wheel system, which handles predictably, and displays superior drag results when installed in multiple bicycle frame designs.
Steering feedback in variable conditions needs to be predictable to have total handling confidence. Less predictable wheels have a non-linear steering response, resulting in erratic and unpredictable handling in unsteady conditions.
The shape of the Smart ENVE System rim is optimized to ensure even and predictable airflow attachment. What the rider experiences is a balanced build up of side force as the angle of crosswind changes. This allows the rider to accurately predict the handling mannerisms of the wheel and avoid dangerous over correction cycles.
- The focus on steering stability resulted in improved handling and confidence in varying crosswinds.
- Therefore, the wheel shape was optimized to produce a predictable and linear response.
- The target stability gradient was 1.0.
STRONG, STIFF, LIGHT – THE ENVE PROCESS
ENVE is renowned for developing the strongest, stiffest and lightest rims on the market. This durability is proven across all disciplines of the sport including being the first and only carbon wheel to podium at World Cup DH events. All ENVE products, including the Smart ENVE System, share this advanced manufacturing technology. These technologies involve:
- Highest strength to weight ratio in the industry.
- Proprietary molded in spoke hole technology.
- Textured braking surface allowing for a more positive engagement and better braking in wet conditions.
Weight: Rim (set)
Weight: DT 180*
Weight: DT 240*
SES 6.7 Clincher
(Front / Rear)
495g / 530g
60mm / 70mm
26mm / 24mm
20 / 24
535 / 517
* Weights calculated using 20/24 hole count and DT Aerolite bladed spokes.
**ERD includes additional length for internal nipples Tubular recommended tire pressure: 100 - 140 psi
For optimal aerodymanics use 23mm tires with the SES system.
Warning: when using Non-Locking brake holders, DO NOT apply the brakes while simultaneously rotating the wheel backwards. Failure to do so may result in ejection of the brake pad resulting in serious harm, accident, bodily injury or death. Note: Campy has redesigned their brake pad holder from 2010 (non-locking) to 2011 (locking). Make sure you are using the correct pad at all times.