Words and Photos by Lottie Bildirici
These homemade bars are a play on some of my favorite store-bought ones. I was able to achieve that delicious balance of crunchy and chewy textures…but with nutritious ingredients! The bars have a satisfying but subtle sweetness from maple syrup and a touch of salt to help you stay hydrated while on the bike. And the banana, which is super high in potassium, will help you to avoid cramping on the bike. Of course they also have some of my other favorite ingredients like oats, almond butter and chocolate! And as always, the best perk of making your own bars is that you can customize the recipe to your liking.
- In a food processor combine bananas, maple syrup and almond butter. Process until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl combine oats, almonds, cereal and cinnamon.
- Combine the banana mixture and oat mixture. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper and non stick spray. Spread mixture evenly and top with a sprinkle of salt.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350.
- Let cool for a few hours or overnight in the refrigerator. Cut ,wrap up and take on the road. Note: these will keep fresh for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or 2 month in the freezer.