Words and Photos by Lottie Bildirici
I’ve never really been a fan of protein bars simply because I never had a reason to eat them. Whenever possible, I try to find whole real foods to eat, and I always come prepared. I find so many protein bars to be glorified candy bars with tons of unnecessary ingredients. These are no bake bars, just make sure you leave yourself enough time to let them set. And feel free to switch up the nut butters and coconut! I’ve made these bars with peanut butter and crushed peanuts and they were amazing! You can’t go wrong.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup puffed brown rice cereal
- 2 servings of vegan protein powder
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate lilly s brand stevia (melted, to drizzle)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine rolled oats, chopped almonds, brown rice cereal, protein, coconut, cinnamon and salt
- In a medium sauce pan add the dates and water. Simmer over medium-low heat until the dates begin to break down, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir the almond butter with the dates until everything is combined and smooth.
- Remove from heat and pour over the dry ingredients.
- Stir to fully combine dry and wet ingredients
- Pour into the 8 inch prepared pan that is sprayed with non-stick spray and lined with parchment
- Press down the mixture evenly in an 8 inch pan
- Optional drizzle with melted chocolate, crushed almonds and sea salt.
- Refrigerate for at least 60 minutes before cutting. Store in the freezer. You can cut them into 8 large bars or 16 smaller ones