Words and Photos by Lottie Bildirici
- 5 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/2 cup sushi rice or arborio rice pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- 1 cup chopped dried mango
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- Place water in a medium/large pot over high heat bring to a boil and then add rice and salt (do not rinse rice).
- Lower the fire to a simmer and let cook uncovered for around 40 minutes until completely cooked.
- Once cooked mix in coconut, mango, coconut oil and honey. You can taste it here and add more honey if you like. Optional add a pinch of chili powder or Trader Joes chili lime spice for a kick.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper or plastic wrap, which will make it easy to take out of the tray once it’s done. Place rice mixture on the baking tray, spreading it 1-2 inch thick.
- Cover and refrigerate over night or at least 5 hours. Then slice into squares, wrap them in foil and stick them in your pocket! Makes around 20 cakes.
- These will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. If you want them to last longer place them wrapped in the freezer and they will last several months.