Words and Photos by Lottie Bildirici
Matcha bites are the perfect burst of energy that won’t have you crashing after a few hours. Matcha is a slow releasing caffeine that will continue to energize you. Paired with dates and nuts, it’s the perfect combination. I also used tahini (sesame paste). Tahini is great! It’s one of the richest sources of plant-based calcium out there. Most people don’t think to use it in sweet things but its super versatile and great if you are nut free.
Recipe (Yields 22 Bites):
- 3 cups pitted dates (soaked in warm water for ten minutes)
- 2 cups raw almonds, divided
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons matcha powder
- Dash of salt
- In a food processor process 1 cup of almonds and 1 1/2 tablespoons of matcha powder until a flour like substance forms.
- Then add in soaked dates, tahini, lemon juice and remaining 1 cup of almonds.
- Process until a dough-like substance forms.
- Once fully combined, transfer to a bowl and using a small ice cream scooper or tablespoon roll into balls and freeze.