Words and Photos by Lottie Bildirici
These Trail Bites were designed to take on the go and they pack well. I partnered with NOW Foods and Jessie Zapo – an avid ultra trail runner to create these bites. We wanted to create something savory with some salt. I also wanted to make sure we had a fair amount of complex carbohydrates to help with energy stores. That is why I used ingredients like sprouted brown rice and pureed pumpkin. Miso offers a nice amount of sodium but it is also fermented so it will help with gut health.
- 2 cups cooked Sprouted Brown Rice
- 2 cups Pumpkin Seeds, divided
- 1/2 cup Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 cup Tahini Paste
- 3 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Miso Paste
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Place one cup of pumpkin seeds in the food processor. Process until full ground and a flour forms
- Place remaining ingredients in the processor until well combined
- Once combined, using a tablespoon or mini ice cream scooper, place them on a prepared baking sheet. Flatten them out and sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to two weeks or freeze for several months.