Versatile, aero, light, and fast. The SES 3.4 has been a staple in the SES wheel family, and the newest iteration takes the best features of the previous generation SES 3.4 and 3.4 AR to make the ultimate modern road wheelset. There’s simply nothing more versatile than the SES 3.4.
• The one wheel quiver
• 1390-gram wheelset weight (with XDR body)
• Inner rim width: 25mm
• Aero optimized tire size: 27mm-28mm (Labeled)
• Minimum labeled tire size: 27mm
• Tubeless Only
“I am constantly looking for marginal gains and equipment that can do it all. The new SES 3.4 is a quiver killer for me. They seamlessly transition from my road bike with 28mm tires, to 40mm gravel tires without losing anything from the asphalt to the singletrack. If you are only getting one wheelset, this is it.”– Alexey Vermeulen, Professional Cyclist
ENVE’s aero wheel development program is driven by our Real-World Fast mantra. This means that each wheel is developed under consideration of airflow efficiency, crosswind stability, handling, weight, tire integration, and much more. The result is a refined collection of wheels that are purpose built to be best-in-class and provide the maximum speed and efficiency benefit available for their intended discipline application.
The SES 3.4 delivers aerodynamic efficiencies that rival many of our competitors’ deeper wheels while also being lighter weight and more manageable in gusty crosswind riding conditions.
THE SES DIFFERENCE
There’s a simple reason why SES wheels consistently score “best in test” in nearly any third-party aero test. We’re committed to sweating the small stuff and chasing the marginal gains that others will not.
- In-frame development and ride testing have taught us that unique rim shapes and constructions between the front and back wheels optimize efficiency and the ride experience.
- Front wheels are designed to maximize crosswind stability. A rider’s stability on the bike, especially in time trial and triathlon, is critical for aero efficiency and overall performance.
- Rear wheels are designed to recapture air flow as it passes from the front of the bike to the back, which maximizes drag reduction.
- Aerodynamically optimized around modern high-volume tubeless tires.
- The all-new SES lineup was developed around the ENVE SES 27mm tire.
- Tested at 20 mph (32 kph) and 30 mph (48 kph). Our SES promise of Real-World Fast isn’t limited only to cycling’s elite.
- Weighted Average Drag – All wind angles are not created equally. Anemometer data shows that most of your ride time will be spent in wind at less than 12 degrees yaw. Weighted average drag is a tool that helps a rider understand the aero efficiency of a wheelset in real-world wind and riding conditions.
Greater speed, comfort, grip and puncture resistance – what’s not to like about road tubeless? With the selection of a high performance tire at the right pressure, you can achieve lower rolling resistance and more speed. Tubeless also allows you to run much lower tire pressures for far greater comfort, traction, and efficiency, especially over poor road surfaces and gravel, all without sacrificing speed. The potential for pinch flats and, with sealant, debris punctures is all but eliminated.
Tubeless represents the pinnacle of road wheel and tire performance, and the hookless bead design plays a significant role. A hookless rim design allows for machined metal tooling to establish a precise and consistent bead seat diameter that meets the defined requirement by ETRTO. That precision fitment between the tubeless tire bead and the rim’s bead seat ensures air and tire retention.
ENGINEERED FLAT PROTECTION
Most flat tires are caused by one of two things; Intrusion punctures (staples, thorns, glass,etc.) or pinch-flats (potholes, railroad tracks, rocks, etc.). While there is little we can do as a rim manufacturer to prevent punctures, the rim feature called Wide Hookless Bead greatly reduces the likelihood of pinch-flatting. Wide Hookless Bead technology works by providing a blunt surface upon which to bottom out the tire, dissipating energy across a larger surface area and preventing tire damage. This allows you to run the correct tire pressure without the worry of pinch-flatting.
ENVE PREMIUM ROAD HUB
What could be considered the nucleus of an SES wheel, the ENVE Premium Road Hub brings efficiency, longevity, and simplicity to every wheelset. From hub flange geometry to bearing longevity to Perfect PreloadTM, every design detail comes from more than a decade of pairing ENVE carbon rims with the leading hubs on the market. Key benefits of the ENVE Premium Road Hub are:
- Hub Shell Geometry: The hub’s flange diameters, spacing, and spoke hole lacing pattern assists in maximizing torsional stiffness, spoke tangency, and power transfer.
- Lightweight: Cold-forged and machined 6061 alloy for durable lightweight performance. Weight: Front 126 grams, Rear 256 grams
- Premium Grade Stainless Steel Bearings: The bearings selected are premium grade and custom-made for ENVE. Full stainless steel races promise that riders living near the coast, or riding in wet or humid environments, will not experience corroded bearings, races, or external surfaces.
- Perfect PreloadTM: Our system ensures perfect bearing preload from the factory via a tuned wave washer installed on the axle. The result is a maintenance free design that promises longer bearing life, and improved rolling efficiency over the lifespan of the hub.
from the journal
As the most versatile wheel in the line, the SES 3.4 is the go-to for just about any terrain or surface conditions. From the Dolomites of the Giro d’Italia to the gravel of Unbound to the town sign sprint on the lunch ride, the 3.4 has proven time and time again that there are no limits on its capabilities. The new SES 3.4 shares many similarities with the previous SES 3.4 AR, such as the 38mm front and 42mm rear rim profiles and 25mm inner width, while receiving a laminate update that reduces weight to 1390 grams for the wheelset.
The high-volume design of the rim and Wide Hookless Bead technology not only makes the SES 3.4 a modern road wheel that is raced at the World Tour level, but it’s also a favorite for mixed surface events due to its feature benefits that clearly separate it from other wheels in the same depth category. Pinch-flat resistance, low weight, and an aero profile optimized around high-volume tires are key features of the SES 3.4, making it the most adept all-around wheelset.
Falling between the SES 2.3 and SES 4.5, the SES 3.4 is a clear choice for the rider seeking a lightweight option for any terrain, on any road. With an internal width of 25mm, the confidence in handling that comes with the rim and tire volume makes it a game-changer on technical descents and rough pavement. Like the rest of the SES wheel line, the SES 3.4 has been optimized for road tubeless performance and features a hookless bead design that allows for the precise rim dimensions required to achieve the best tubeless performance. To further tubeless tire and rim reliability, the full carbon wheelset features ENVE’s patent-pending Wide Hookless Bead, which is a design element at the leading edge of the rim that provides a surface that, when impacted, will reduce the likelihood of pinch flatting a tubeless tire.
|Hub Offering||ENVE Premium Road Disc|
|Spacing||Front: 12×100 | Rear: 12×142|
|Brake Type||Disc Brake Centerlock |
(Lockrings not included)
|Effective Rim Diameter||578||571|
|Aero Optimized Tubless-Ready Tire Size||29mm|
|Minimum Tire Size (Labeled)||27mm|
|Maximum Tire Pressure for Min. Tire (psi | bar)||80 | 5.5|
|Tire Type||Tubeless Ready|
|Tubeless Tape Width||29mm|
|ENVE Premium Road Disc (XDR Freehub Body)||634g||756g||1390g|